Monday, November 25, 2013

My Experience With the Silk Roller Wrap Straightening Method by MoKnowsHair

Selfie in the restroom at work, lol

Last weekend, November 15th-17th, I decided to straighten my hair.  I had been wanting to straighten it for a while, and after watching Mo's method, the Silk Roller Wrap Straightening Method, I knew it was time.

I wanted to make sure my hair was fully prepared and ready for heat styling so I began deep conditioning on Friday night using my Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask.  I went out on Saturday to gather the supplies I didn't have-- some of which I purchased after learning what Mo* used.  Below are the products and tools I used:
  • Monoi Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask
  • ApHogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer
  • Creme of Nature 7-in-1 Leave-In Treatment
  • Aveda Smooth Infusion Style Prep Smoother*
  • Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion*
  • CHI Silk Infusion (not exactly what she used, but close enough)
  • Magnetic Rollers
  • Metal Clips
  • Conair Infiniti Pro Flat Iron
  • Conair Soft Bonnet Dryer
  • Paddle Brush
  • Soft Boar Bristle Brush*
  • Large Detangling Comb
  • Rattail Comb

I have included the link above so you all can access her site and view the video of the method.  I avoided the plastic wrap step (I didn't find it necessary for me).  I was lucky enough to have my mom help me roll my hair, and I occasionally had to spritz some of the sections with water to keep my hair from drying completely.  

I honestly lost track of time especially because the drying time took much longer than I thought.  I should have dried my hair on high heat from jump instead of medium heat.  After my hair was fully dried-- around 1 am-- I grabbed some pins and wrapped it for the night.  I flat ironed my hair the next morning and unfortunately, it was raining :(  However, I did the best I could before I left and ended up putting a cap on anyway; I was TOO happy!  My flat iron doesn't have a setting where you can select the exact temperature, but I used my flat iron on the 15-20 setting and when I returned home, I turned it up to 30 which is equivalent to 455 degrees.  I admit I was a little nervous, but I wanted to get my hair as straight and sleek as possible.

For the first couple of days, my hair was far from sleek.  It did have a lot of body-- a little more than I was used to, but constant wrapping helped to flatten it a bit.  By the end of the week, my hair was sleek with just enough body for some bounce!  I loved it.

When getting my hair back to its naturally curly state, I applied LOTS of Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner on Thursday night and donned a plastic cap.  I wanted to lock in some added moisture.  I slept with it overnight.  The next day before work, I rinsed it out and applied my Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Protein Pack.  I needed my hair to be super strong before my Senegalese twists were installed on Saturday (Nov. 23rd).  I went to work with my protein treatment and rinsed it out when I returned home.  I then sat for about 15 minutes with my Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment.

Let me tell you!  My curls were just as defined and bouncy-- if not more-- as they had been before they were straightened.  I didn't see any signs of heat damage, my curls were all the way in tact, and they were shiny!  I definitely attribute this to some of the products I used during the straightening process.  The Creme of Nature Leave-In functions as a heat protectant just as the Aveda Style Prep Smoother does.  I think the ApHogee Leave-In treatment helped to strengthen my hair and kept it strong during the process as well.  

I would definitely recommend Mo's method for straightening.  It took me a while-- only because I'm a beginner at rolling hair and I fumbled on my drying time, but my hair was silky and my curls were in tact once I returned to my curly state.  Some naturals experience heat damage; luckily, I didn't!

Definitely check out the links I've placed throughout the post-- my favorite moisturizing deep conditioning treatments and Mo's method for straightening on MoKnowsHair.com!

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have a method for straightening your hair?  Do your curls remain in tact after heat styling?  Share with us below!

No comments:

Post a Comment