Monday, December 2, 2013

Spotlight Monday: Shanna


Tell us about yourself.
I am a proud alumna of Syracuse University, Class of 2013!  Born and bred in the Bronx area of New York.  I love traveling, shopping, and being a product junkie LOL!  I'm currently working on my latest goal which is to launch my career in the television, radio, and film industry.

How long have you been natural?  What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
I big chopped in March 2011, so I've been natural for two years.  I have not received formal consultation yet, but through research, I learned that my curls are a mixture of 4a and b.  My curl pattern in the front half of my hair is more of 4a, whereas in the middle and back portion it is 4b.

Did you transition or big chop?
I did a little bit of both.  I used full head sew-ins as a protective and transitional style.  When my hair was about 2 inches natural, my hairstylist trimmed whatever was left from the relaxer.  

Why did you take that route?
Coming into college I had a very short cut thus making the transitional phase very quick and easy.  I always had a full head sew-in for its convenience, but also to protect my hair.  I decided to wait after I graduated to slow down on the sew-ins because I knew I would have more time to treat and style my hair.  Plus, I did not want to watch my hair's growth-- it was something about going to my hair stylist every few weeks and being surprised at how fast it grew since the previous time.

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
Weird LOL.  I was not feeling the big chop at all!  My curl pattern was similar to a jheri curl puff, and it wasn't very flattering.  Now that I am educated, I know that there are products specifically for the curl definition I was so desperately craving.  I didn't even give myself a chance for the big chop to grow on me.  Instead, I got another weave install.

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
I was absolutely amazed, yet still confused.  Amazed because, for the first time, I realized how curly my hair was.  Many people always assume curly hair means you must be biracial or multiracial, but my hair told me otherwise.  I was confused because I did not know about any products to use or ways I could style my hair. 

What are some of your favorite products?  (Top 3)
1) Jane Carter Spray Gel: It's perfect for holding curl definition in twist outs. 2) Love Me and Leave-Me-In Conditioner (made by natural hair enthusiast Kimmay): All natural ingredients, pH balanced so it helps with curl restoration 3) Ouidad Curl Quencher Hydrafusion: Love this product, it had my curls bouncing and spirally!  Ideal for summer wash & go's, but if you have time, use this product, twist your hair, and sit under the dryer--you will not be disappointed.

What are your go-to hairstyles?  
Definitely twist outs.  Many people complain about going through the hassle of twisting their hair daily to maintain neat curls, but I see nothing wrong with going that extra mile just to save me some time in the morning.  Especially because I know how my hair will look in the morning if I don't.

How do you feel about your hair today?
I absolutely am in loveee with my hair!  In fact, I love it so much I don't even straighten my hair as much as I planned to.  I learn something new every day and look forward to playing in my hair.  I spend a lot of time trying new products and techniques that work for me.  I look back at my younger years and how much I wanted to look like the little girls on the box of the Just for Me relaxer and shake my head.  All I know, is that my hair is healthier than it has ever been and it is my every intention to keep it that way!

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Shanna about her natural hair?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment