Tell us about yourself.
> My name is Fatima Johnson; I love to dance and eat! I am passionate about advocating for, and educating, the youth on the options they have regarding higher education and giving them the tools needed to get there. I like to try and live positively and just love life!
> I have been natural for 3 years. See, my hair type is a lot; it's just SUPER thick! For the most part, my hair is more wavy than curly. I have a majority of 3b/3c curls with 3c/4a curls in the front, 3a/3b curls on the sides behind my ears, and 3c/4a curls at the back of my head.
Did you transition or big chop? Why did you take that route?
> I decided to go natural when I saw that my hair was falling out in college. I transitioned for two years then I cut off the last parts of the relaxed hair. I cut off about 3 inches, maybe a little more. I chose to transition because my natural texture was sooo similar to the already relaxed hair. I also thought that it would be healthier for me to do this so I can smoothly transition and learn how to work with my natural texture instead of chopping everything off and working with a length that I had never experienced.
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> When I first experienced my natural hair, I was not happy. Honestly, I did not know how to take care of my hair, and I was just straightening and ponytail-ing it lol. Then, I heard about the naturalistas on YouTube and saw all of the beautiful hairstyles they did; the love they had for their hair was inspirational! I was like "Wow-- I must be crazy not to love this hair!" And then as I transitioned, I played around with Bantu knots and twist outs. Then, I just cut the relaxed ends off and it was all magic from there!
What are some of your favorite products? (Top 3)
What are your go-to hairstyles?
> My go-to hairstyles? Buns! When I want to wear my hair out, I just do a simple twist out. I also like wearing my hair in twists. I'm still exploring different styles. My texture is so different than those on YouTube; I expect the same results as them and never get it! I just have to explore on my own.
How do you feel about your hair today?
> I absolutely LOVE my hair. I won't lie-- I still feel self-conscious when I think about wearing it in a Wash and Go, but I know I'm gonna be like "Eff this!" one day, and do it. I am so happy with the health, length, and diversity of my hair. I can straighten, curl, twist, braid it, etc. and it feels good to have those options than to just be boring and straight like it was in my permed life. I love my hair!
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Fatima about her natural hair? Comment below!

No comments:
Post a Comment