Monday, November 25, 2013

Spotlight Monday: Shanelle



Blow Out, September 2013
Tell us about yourself.
My name is Shanelle; I'm 21yo and I am currently a senior at Syracuse University.  I enjoy writing, dancing, and all things fashion.  I consider myself a Beyonce enthusiast and I'm obsessed with the color pink!  I'm a Jersey girl at heart, but have always longed for the unforgiving fast life of NYC.  

How long have you been natural? What is your hair type? Describe your curls!
I have been natural for about a year and a month.  I would say that I have a curl pattern combination of 3c and 4b (with my loose curls around the perimeter and front of my head).  Naturally, my hair is coarse and thick, but still manageable.  My curls are more like coils and ringlets rather than waves. 

Did you transition or big chop? Why did you take that route?
I spent about 4 months transitioning and got very impatient.  This resulted in me big chopping because I couldn't wait to see my natural curl pattern.  I just felt daring and I honestly thought I would look okay with a short hair cut; so I went with it.

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
I felt free!  It was the most exhilarating feeling (next to being naked). It just felt fresh and represented a new start.

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
I'm not going to lie-- when I first experienced my hair, it was so low that it was hard, at first, to determine my curl pattern. So at first I was a little iffy.c At that point, I used a lot of curl-defining products to make sure my hair curled up the way I wanted it to.  But in no time, I had more length and got more comfortable with my natural hair, with and without products.

What are some of your favorite products? (Top 3)
Shea Moisture (anything), Kinky Curly Curling Custard & Organic Oils (Castor*)

What are your go-to hairstyles?
Wash & Gos, protective styles (Marley twists, box braids, sew-ins), and twist outs

How do you feel about your hair today?  
I love my hair for the most part.  Sometimes I wish my curl pattern was a little looser because I have length, but it's hidden by shrinkage.  I have very little heat damage so my curls look in tact.  And above all, it's healthy!

Flat Iron, October 2013
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Shanelle about her natural hair?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment