Monday, June 2, 2014

Spotlight Monday: Qubilah

Tell us about yourself.
My name is Qubilah, but I like to go by Lady/Sister Shabazz.  I am a recent graduate from UNC-Chapel Hill, and I am currently interning with the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation in Washington, D.C.  In the meantime, I’m looking for employment in the non-profit or public service sector.


How long have you been natural? What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
This June will make 3 years.  I can’t believe it has been that long!  I used to go by the typing system, and at times I will describe my hair as 3a/4b for the newer naturals that are familiar with that system.  Personally, I like to describe my hair as kinky/curly.  Some parts of my hair are more curly/wavy while other parts are more kinky/afro.  I don’t think hair typing is as important as the natural hair community makes it out to be.  At this point if someone were to ask me what’s my hair type, I’d say natural!

Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
I big chopped.  I tried to do the whole transitioning thing, but found myself unable to wait until my natural hair grew out.  Right before I big chopped I got a bang to waste time.  A month or so later (I think), I went to Aveda during a break from summer school and got all of my hair cut off.

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
Big chopping was… liberating.  I was tired of my relaxed hair.  It was breaking off and wasn’t growing back the way it had when I was younger.  I was glad to take the plunge and try something new.  I didn’t know what to expect, but I knew that I wasn’t going back to relaxed hair.

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?

Overall, my natural hair experience has been positive from the very beginning.  I’ve learned so much about my hair and how the black community has yet to understand the value of our natural selves.  Now that I’ve been natural for almost 3 years, there are a lot of things I don’t necessarily care about.  I used to swear by the natural hair “rules” such as no sulfates, silicone-free conditioners, etc.  Now, I just do what works for me. I’m learning to be free and do as I please.

What are some of your favorite products? (top 3)

Paul Mitchell “The Conditioner” (leave-in), Kinky Curly Knot Today (leave-in) & Grapeseed oil

What are your go-to hairstyles?

Braid-outs (year round) & puffs and curly 'fros (spring/summer)

What is a haircare lesson that you'd share with someone who wants to go natural?

One of the most important haircare lessons I have learned is that you must always do what works for you and your hair.  I feel that the natural hair community has gotten a bad rep mainly because there are so many "gurus" telling us naturals what rules we should follow.  However, returning to your natural self isn't about following a strict list of guidelines.  It's about doing the research for yourself, and figuring out what products and methods work best for your own head of hair.  For example, I rarely do protective styling even though naturals rant and rave about the benefits.  Personally, I don't like my hair tucked away.  I like to wear it out 99% of the time.  It works for me.  My hair has flourished with no problems.  I've reached bra strap length (straightened) in a little under 3 years without abiding by all of the natural haircare rules because I've figured out what my hair likes.  So if you're still trying to find the best product(s) or the best way to grow your hair faster or maintain length, start by doing your own research and spend more time with your hair.  You won't regret it!

What are your hair goals?

My hair goals include learning how to flat twist my entire head, doing more dry styling, and growing my hair to waist length (flat ironed) in the next three years.

How do you feel about your hair today?

Sometimes I get tired of all the maintenance, but I’m excited to see it grow more and more!

Twitter: Miss_Spacely
Instagram: Thee_LadyShabazz
Tumblr: missspacelysaysrelax
Blog: theeblackcorner.wordpress.com

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Qubilah about her natural hair journey?  If so, comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment