Tell us about yourself.
> My name is Michelle, and I am a recent Syracuse University grad; I majored in both Information Management & Technology and Women & Gender Studies. I live in Long Island, NY, and I believe 50 Cent is my soulmate!
How long have you been natural? What is your hair type? Describe your curls!
> I began my natural journey in August 2012. All of my hair was officially natural in January 2014. I am not completely sure what my hair type would be, but if i had to base it off of what I have seen from the internet, I would say I'm somewhere around a 3c. One side of my hair is actually curlier than the other. It drives me crazy sometimes, but I work with it.
> I transitioned starting in August 2012. I saw a lot of people around me going forth with the big chop. I thought it was so bold, but I wasn't ready for that, and I have a big head so I'm not sure how that would have looked haha. I didn't want to cut off my permed ends until I was completely ready to rock my curls. When it came down to it, I was still scared but knew it was something that I really wanted.
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
What are some of your favorite products? (top 3)
> The first product I started using was Wen (cleansing shampoo). I absolutely loved it and told as many people as I could about it. I also use SheaMoisture Conditioner (specifically the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine); I really like the light feeling it has. Another product I really like is the One 'n Only Argan Oil Styling Cream.
What are your go-to hairstyles?> A wash & go is pretty much life for me right now. I love how wild and big my hair gets after it dries so that's pretty much the only hairstyle I go with. While I was transitioning, I did bantu knots a few times but after cutting my permed ends I didn't try different styles.
What is a haircare lesson that you'd share with someone who wants to go natural?
> Although I'm lazy and don't try many hairstyles, I have acknowledged that there's so much that you can do with your natural hair. For this reason, I would encourage people to embrace their natural hair for all that it can be. What I've been doing through this journey is trying sooo many different products to determine what works for my hair. For anyone going natural, don't feel crazy if you go through dozens of products-- it's necessary.
What are your hair goals?
> Honestly, I just want to see my hair get extremely big. I really do miss the length that I used to have, so that would be nice as well. I've learned to be patient; it's easy when you actually love your hair :)
How do you feel about your hair today?
> I love my hair. I was always called a 'wild child' by friends and my hair definitely embodies that name. I'm currently rocking "straight out the bed" hair which is the wildest state. I'm a lively individual and my hair proves it.
Instagram & Twitter: noYAMShere_
Until next week,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Michelle about her natural hair? Comment below!
No comments:
Post a Comment