Monday, October 21, 2013

Spotlight Monday: Reecie

This Spotlight Monday features my friend Daryce, or Reecie, as most call her.  She has been my friend for about 18 years or so now; she is a woman of many hairstyles.  I seriously NEVER know what I'm going to get when I see her.  But let's get this Spotlight Monday started, shall we..
How long have you been natural?
I've been natural officially for a year and five months.

Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
I big chopped May 2012 and I am currently 5 months post mini chop.  I decided to big chop because I am impulsive and impatient.  I really could not deal with two different textures, and I was so eager to start my journey so I cut it all off.  

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
I felt relieved after my BC, and also very anxious after, possibly because I’ve gone down this road before.  This was my third caesar cut, and my third attempt at growing and keeping my hair natural.  

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
I was comfortable with my hair initially.  I became frustrated and annoyed once it grew past the cute little curls stage.  My hair always seemed too long or too short for any particular style I wanted to achieve.  Unhappy and uncomfortable with my TWA, I opted for turbans everyday.  With the help of bloggers such as Curly Nikki, natural hair vloggers, and my best friend, I finally found products, and a regimen, that was simple enough to follow but became too time consuming the longer my thick “type 4a” hair got... which explains the mini chop this past May.

How do you feel about your hair today?
I absolutely love my hair-- every curl, wave, and springy spiral.  I feel like it's where all my personality comes from.  I just regret cutting it for the umpteenth time because I would love to see some length right now.  But I am looking forward to tackling, rather than hiding, my TWA this winter.

*Sidenote, Reecie and I big chopped on the same day!  :)

To keep up with Reecie, you can find her on Instagram @StyledbyReece and StyleSeat.com/StyledByReece


Until next time,

Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Reecie, or would you like to be featured on Spotlight Monday?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment