Monday, October 28, 2013

Spotlight Monday: Cheryl

For this week's Spotlight Monday post, I've decided to do a loc edition.  Woo!

The first Loc Edition Spotlight Monday post features my older sister, Cheryl :)  She's done some of the most creative and pretty things with her locs, and I'm glad she was willing to share her story with us all.  Let us begin..



How long have you been loc'ing your hair?
I've been loc'ing my hair for 7 years.

Why did you make the decision to do so?
Truthfully, I was tired of combing it!  There was no grand epiphany this wasn't my calling.  I was really tired of perms and braids, and just refused to comb my hair any longer, but I wanted my Locs to be nice, not crazy looking.

How did you feel after beginning your journey?

At first I was excited because this was something new. It wasn't at all what I expected since the goal was no work or maintenance.  It was actually a lot of work that needed to be done, and several times I started to forgo Locs and go back to a perm.

What are your hair goals?

I have commitment issues (including an ex husband, lol), so it started by proving to him that I could follow through with something.  The more I saw it annoyed him, the better I felt about them, but with all the complements I've received, and people asking me could I help them, I feel this is the hair for me.  I didn't start from scratch with the close cut knobs, I still had some perm in it and I would just cut the ends every 6 weeks and I began to see the transformation; I love them!  Currently, I'm trying to see how long I want to let them grow so that's my next challenge.  At this point, they are midway down my back, but I want them even, so by this time next year, I will check to see if I'm any closer to where I draw the line and clip them.

Do you try different/creative styles?  If so, what is/are your favorites?
At first I didn't; I just curled them and was ready to go!  Now that they are longer, I love a Mohawk, or spiral curls.  The Mohawk is my favorite.

How do you feel about your hair today?  

My hair is like a tree-- I water, nurture it, and watch it grow.  I love being natural and the different scents I can use as well as the shine which let's me know it's healthy.

I love the way my sister colors her locs!  They've been brown, blonde, and I believe some shade of red at a point.  I also love when she curls them with pipe cleaners (very creative I must say)!  She also has 177 locs.  She counts them when she styles 'em! :)


Until next time,

Ashley, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment