Shall we..
How long have you been natural?
> I've been natural for almost two years. It will be two years this December.
Did you transition or big chop? Why did you take that route?
> I transitioned for a year and a half, not intentionally. I was really over getting perms. I didn't really put the concept of me going natural together. I just couldn't deal with my hair not being versatile, but looking stringy and hopeless when wet. So I decided to stop getting the creamy-crack that burned my scalp for years. It wasn't worth it. I started to do styles that didn't require heat such as using flexi-rods in my hair. I absolutely loved the results, but it was tedious to do some nights before bed. Then, I went another route. I bought some wigs that blended into my hair and people would never know the difference :) That lasted a while until one morning at school when I woke up to a knotted mess that was my hair. I was literally in tears!!! The night before, I had washed my hair, detangled, and put it into about 6 large twists and went to sleep. When I woke up, there was a large matted knot on the right side of my head. I couldn't understand why my hair knotted up the way it did. I was used to going to sleep with wet hair, detangled hair. I realized it wouldn't work the same with TWO different textures-- the permed ends and my new growth. So I did what I had to do and cut off the knotted mess. I had one short side and one long side; I threw on a wig and went to class. That weekend, I went home and my sister did the big chop!!! My Mom cried lol.
On big chopping-- How did you feel?
> The night of my big chop we were going to a party, but I didn't want to go!!!! I wanted to hide under a rock; I thought I looked like a boy. I couldn't hide behind my hair any longer!!! My sister said 'you are going and you are gonna own your hair, it's yours!!!!' (I hated her lol) So I got dressed, put on some big earrings and false lashes, and I walked into that party owning my hair! I received so many compliments!!!!!!!! Even guys were loving my hair. I got used to my NEW HAIR quickly and I loved it. I never looked back on that creamy-crack (crack is whack) lol.
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> I thought I looked crazy. It took a while for me to get used to my new look. I didn't think I looked feminine enough because my hair was so short. I would wear large earrings and false lashes just so I wouldn't look like a boy. That only lasted a few weeks since my hair was growing rapidly. I loved having my hair that short because it was so easy to maintain. It was literally a WnG (Wash & Go) and I would just apply a little oil and some Eco Styler Gel.
How do you feel about your hair today?
> I've been natural for almost two years. It will be two years this December.
Did you transition or big chop? Why did you take that route?> I transitioned for a year and a half, not intentionally. I was really over getting perms. I didn't really put the concept of me going natural together. I just couldn't deal with my hair not being versatile, but looking stringy and hopeless when wet. So I decided to stop getting the creamy-crack that burned my scalp for years. It wasn't worth it. I started to do styles that didn't require heat such as using flexi-rods in my hair. I absolutely loved the results, but it was tedious to do some nights before bed. Then, I went another route. I bought some wigs that blended into my hair and people would never know the difference :) That lasted a while until one morning at school when I woke up to a knotted mess that was my hair. I was literally in tears!!! The night before, I had washed my hair, detangled, and put it into about 6 large twists and went to sleep. When I woke up, there was a large matted knot on the right side of my head. I couldn't understand why my hair knotted up the way it did. I was used to going to sleep with wet hair, detangled hair. I realized it wouldn't work the same with TWO different textures-- the permed ends and my new growth. So I did what I had to do and cut off the knotted mess. I had one short side and one long side; I threw on a wig and went to class. That weekend, I went home and my sister did the big chop!!! My Mom cried lol.
On big chopping-- How did you feel?
> The night of my big chop we were going to a party, but I didn't want to go!!!! I wanted to hide under a rock; I thought I looked like a boy. I couldn't hide behind my hair any longer!!! My sister said 'you are going and you are gonna own your hair, it's yours!!!!' (I hated her lol) So I got dressed, put on some big earrings and false lashes, and I walked into that party owning my hair! I received so many compliments!!!!!!!! Even guys were loving my hair. I got used to my NEW HAIR quickly and I loved it. I never looked back on that creamy-crack (crack is whack) lol.
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> I thought I looked crazy. It took a while for me to get used to my new look. I didn't think I looked feminine enough because my hair was so short. I would wear large earrings and false lashes just so I wouldn't look like a boy. That only lasted a few weeks since my hair was growing rapidly. I loved having my hair that short because it was so easy to maintain. It was literally a WnG (Wash & Go) and I would just apply a little oil and some Eco Styler Gel.
> I never regretted going natural; it's probably the best thing that happened to me. I never have to really worry about my hair, or sweating it out. I LOVEEEEEEEE my hair, and everything about it. I love this new journey, this new lifestyle. I actually do have one regret, and that is not becoming natural SOONER!!! Now my hair is growing longer than when I had a perm. I just CAN'T wait until my hair reaches my lower back. Until then, I'm enjoying my natural hair journey. I feel freer than ever!!! No more wigs, no more creamy-crack. Now my sister, my Mom, my Grandma, and I are all natural, and we love it. Naturalistas runs in the family lol.
To keep up with Alex, and her hair, see her on Instagram @AlexDotCom_
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Alex, or wish to be featured on Spotlight Monday? Comment below!
To keep up with Alex, and her hair, see her on Instagram @AlexDotCom_
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Alex, or wish to be featured on Spotlight Monday? Comment below!


No comments:
Post a Comment