Monday, May 12, 2014

Spotlight Monday: Isabel

Tell us about yourself.
I’m a New York City native, and a recent Syracuse University graduate.  I studied Television-Radio-Film, and I will be pursuing a career in film production.

How long have you been natural?  What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
To say the least, I’ve pretty much been “natural” all my life.  I’ve never had a relaxer before so I guess I would consider myself to be natural.  My hair type falls between 3b/3c, only because the back of my hair tends to be more coily than the rest of my curl pattern(s).  I would say my curls have tons of volume, and resemble more of a spiral pattern.

Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
I’ve never had a big chop before; I’ve always freaked out about cutting a great amount of hair!  But what I did do was take much better care of my hair, so in the end that counts as a big transition, haha!  But anyway, I think “the big chop” is often necessary because it provides women with a clean opportunity to replenish the beauty of their natural hair.

What are some of your 3 favorite hair products?
My three favorite products: Shea Moisture (deep conditioner treatment), 100 percent Argan Oil (from Morocco), and the One N’ Only hair curl cream.

What are your go-to hairstyles?
Probably twist outs or a wash & go is my absolute routine.  Although, I could get a little more creative from time to time…

What is a haircare lesson that you've learned that you'd be willing to share with someone who wants to go natural?
You have to be patient with your hair progress.  Also, sometimes not all organic products work best on your hair.  I can’t begin to express how many blogs continue to constantly reinforce to go 100% organic, and although the idea may be nice to purchase only organic hair products, in reality for a few natural products we can safely say are a waste of money and super overpriced.  Stick to the kinds of hairstyles and products that work best for YOU.  I know it’s tempting to purchase tons of different hair products, but make the effort to be confident enough in the things you’ve been using.  At times, the difference between a good hair day from a bad hair day depends on how you apply a hair product, etc.

What are your hair goals?
Ultimately, I would like for my hair to have a uniformed curl pattern.  I think my hair has the potential to get there. 

How do you feel about your hair today?
Today, I feel great about my hair!  Over the years, I hope it’ll maintain its volume.  It’s been the hair I’ve been used to for the past 21 years of my life, and I’ll continue to nourish it!

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Isabel about her natural hair journey?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment