Monday, May 19, 2014

Spotlight Monday: Flose

Tell us about yourself.
My name is Flose, and I am a recent Syracuse University graduate, where I double-majored in sociology and public relations.  I currently reside in Rockland County, New York, but I was born on the beautiful island of Hispaniola.  Poetry is my life and the answer to all my woes; I aim to share her with all who are willing to listen.  If there's one thing I want the world to know about me, it's that I'm a lover of humanity, and I am continuously looking for ways to help us all advance as a people.
How long have you been natural? What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
> I'm 21 years old and I've been natural for a majority of my 21 years of life.  To be completely honest, I am not sure what my hair type is.  Unfortunately, I am not a natural hair connoisseur-- I just let my curls be and don't attempt to study them.  I guess I would say that they are pretty tight curls, sometimes nappy, but usually fun and bouncy. 

Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
I did a bit of both.  I cut my hair my freshman year of college, while it was still natural, just to see what I would look like with short hair.  Truthfully, I was going through a lot of emotions that first semester of school, and I lost a relationship that was really important to me.  Maybe the big chop was a way for me to start over and regain control.  I didn't have control for too long, because my mom absolutely hated my short hair and encouraged me to relax it.  I gave in and allowed her to do it.  However, I hated it!  I went to a barbershop a few months later, in June, and cut that relaxer right out.  It was very freeing.  I have never relaxed my hair since, but I have cut my hair boy-short once after that.  Right now, I'm letting it grow out.  I hope I don't get scissor happy for a fourth time because I am really enjoying this phase.

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
I felt free, in control of my life, and ready to take on new challenges.  With every chop, I learned to find beauty in my naked face.  Having hair is great, but it makes it easy to hide from you sometimes.  However, when there's nothing hanging in your face or resting on your shoulders, you have to stare at and learn to love your naked face.  It's interesting.  My second chop was probably the hardest because I let the barber cut it like almost bald---it was weird seeing my head for the first time!

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
My mother never relaxed my hair as a child, so being natural was and is normal to me.  However, having short hair has been a challenging, but beneficial experience. 

What are some of your favorite products? (top 3)
This is a tough question for me since I don't do much to my hair, ha-ha.  However, I would say argan oil, coconut milk, and olive oil are great.  Every once in a while, I make my own at home mixes.  Recently, I have tried the whole eggs, mayo, olive oil, cinnamon, avocado and water mix--sounds gross (or tasty), depending on your taste buds, but it's a great moisturizer!  Also, I drink a lot of water; it's great for skin and hair.

What are your go-to hairstyles?
My go-to hairstyle is just a wash and some teasing with my hands.  I'm still at the no ponytail phase, so there's not much I can do... sometimes I put twists or big doudou braids.

What is a haircare lesson that you've learned that you'd be willing to share with someone who wants to go natural?
Going natural isn't much of an experience for me because it's all I know, but I would say if you're thinking about it, just do it.  I thought about cutting my hair for years and let fear hold me back.  But when I did it, it was weird, but I'm so happy I took that step.  Cutting my hair, the feelings that come with it, and challenges, have made me a stronger woman.  However, what I would suggest is, don't do it because it's a trend--go natural for you.

What are your hair goals?
I don't set hair goals; I just go with it... I think my hair decisions are often impulsive.  Maybe a short-term goal is to let it grow... I have thought about locs and did start some earlier this year, but got rid of them.  Yeah, so for now it's just go with the flow.

How do you feel about your hair today?
Today in particular, my hair makes me feel frustrated.  It's dry and matted, but that's because I haven't been paying attention to it--it fights back sometimes.  All-in-all, I love my hair and look forward to watching it progress.

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have questions for Flose about her natural hair journey?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment