Tell us about yourself.
> Hey Guys!!! My name is Dhaakira. I am an alumna of St. Bonaventure University where I studied Journalism/Mass Communications. I grew up and currently reside in NYC. I am a young woman trying to make something of myself and enjoy life as it comes.
How long have you been natural? What is your hair type? Describe your curls!
> I’ve been natural most of my life! Growing up, I did put a texturizer in my hair once because I figured it would help my hair last longer, but that was an EPIC fail. It didn’t do much for my hair and it was a waste of money LOL. I would say my hair type is between a 3B and 3C. I’m honestly still trying to figure that out, but for right now that’s what I think. My curls are very soft and loose. Some sections of my hair have defined curls and others are a mix of waves and curl. My hair does get frizzy at times, but I prefer the frizz.
Did you transition or big chop? Why did you take that route?
> During my junior year of college, I decided to bleach my hair because I was OBSESSED with blue hair! I just had to have it. It definitely was not my brightest idea, smh. I had my friend bleach my hair then dye it and it came out ALL wrong. My hair had broken off from the bleach and the blue, unfortunately, did not come out as planned. I was left with multiple gross colors in my hair and it looked crazy. I panicked and dyed my hair jet black the next day-- BAD IDEA. That whole process destroyed my hair. My hair became brittle and extra thin to the point where you could literally see through my hair strands. After that whole process, I decided to transition and just cut my hair from time to time. Looking back, I should have just big chopped, but I was too afraid. I’ve always had long hair and I wasn’t sure how I would look or feel about it. The transitioning process was taking forever and my hair wasn’t looking too hot, so I finally manned up and BC'd!
If you big chopped-- how did you feel?
> I big chopped after I graduated, and I can honestly say that it was the best decision I’ve ever made for my hair. I cut it into a short style-- short layers in back and sides and leaving the front with some length. I instantly loved the cut! I felt that it made me look a little older and it was something different for me. Anyone that knows me knows I love different!
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> After my big chop, the experience was very new. While growing up, natural was just not putting relaxers in my hair. This time around, I actually had to do research about different hair products and figure out what was or was not good for my hair. The biggest challenge was finding hairstyles that would be easy for me to do. With my hair being shorter, it was a little easier because I did a lot of wash and gos. However, once my hair started growing out, it became harder for me. I might be the first to say that I am a little hair challenged, so I was always asking my friends for help and watching tons of hair tutorials, LOL.
What are your go-to hairstyles?
> My go-to styles are currently wash and gos, Bantu knots, two strand twists, and I’ve recently been able to put my hair into a puff. I'm super excited about that! LOL I'm still trying out new styles, but those are the ones I know best.
What is a haircare lesson that you've learned that you'd be willing to share with someone who wants to go natural?
> A haircare lesson I would share is to STOP using heat on natural hair, or at least in the beginning stages. As much as I love my straight hair, I had to stop straightening it because I was beginning to see signs of damage. I would also tell them to definitely keep their hair hydrated and moisturize often!
What are your hair goals?
> My hair goals are to grow my hair to bra strap-mid back length and keep it healthy and strong.
How do you feel about your hair today?
> I love, love, LOVE my hair! I honestly can not say that enough. When I was younger, I never wore my hair curly unless it was in a ponytail. I always straightened it as much I could, which caused major heat damage, but NOW I can’t get enough! I feel more secure with my hair, and I love this journey I am embarking on. My hair has never been this healthy and I’m just having fun with it. I'm still learning as it grows!
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Dhaakira about her natural hair? Comment below!
No comments:
Post a Comment