Monday, April 28, 2014

Spotlight Monday: Callie

Tell us about yourself.
Hey, I'm Callie-- a Brooklyn girl with a random, carefree spirit.  I am a junior at Syracuse University, majoring in Child & Family Studies as well as African American Studies.  If I'm not eating, I'm probably watching movies (or both lol).  I LOVE music, books, new places and new things.


How long have you been natural?  What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
> I've been natural for almost 2 and 1/2 years now.  It doesn't seem like that long in reality because I'm still learning as if I just went natural!  If someone was to hair type my hair, I guess it would be a mix of 3c/4a.  I stopped going by that (the hair typing system) because my curls have a mind of their own and refuse to be labeled.  My rebellious curls are not perfect, often frizzy and love to tangle.

Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
I big chopped out of spontaneity during Thanksgiving break during my freshman year of college.  Not only was I tired of straightening my short, asymmetrical hair cut, but I also wanted to rid myself of an unwanted relaxer, which I got in middle school.  I tried transitioning in high school and that was a failed attempt.  That relaxer after about 7 months was the best relaxer I ever got!  Shoutout to the people that transition because I couldn't deal with two different hair textures; it drove me crazy!

On big chopping-- how did you feel?
> My big chop was liberating!  I loved not having to do much with my hair because it was short.  However, I wasn't prepared for people's reactions.  It was frustrating to explain why I cut it and that it was only hair and it would grow back.  People's real colors came out over something that wasn't even theirs.  Like why are you mad?  While my big chop was liberating at first, adjusting was hard.  I've had long hair all my life and ponytails were my beloved go-to hairstyles.  I bothered my friends all the time because I would complain I had no hair and how I was bald LOL (thanks for putting up with me).  HEADBANDS and EARRINGS got me through my TWA.

What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
I was so happy to be naturally curly again.  I knew what my natural hair looked since I didn't have a relaxer until 7th grade, but I didn't know how to care for it.  When I first went natural, I would beg my mom to comb my hair for old times sake because she knew how to care for my hair and I didn't.  My mom's days of doing my hair were long over so I had to figure it out and fast.  That's when my youtube obsession developed!

What are some of your favorite products? (top 3)
> Disclaimer: I am a recovering product junkie, so I will try to keep this short.  I tried a lot of products and there are still so many to try, ughh.  Anyway, my favorite oils are coconut oil and olive oil.  I use coconut oil daily and extra virgin olive oil for deep treatments, oil rinses, etc.  I use V05 or Tresemme Naturals, Garnier Fructis, and Cantu leave-in conditioner because they are inexpensive, easily accessible, and work well for my hair.  I love Miss Jessie's Creme de la Curl shampoo; it is the best shampoo I've used thus far in my natural hair journey!  ORS Hair Mayonnaise is also my favorite deep conditioner.

What are your go-to hairstyles?
> Definitely wash and go's!!!  They are a lifesaver because I'm a low maintenance type of girl.  My second go-to style is my puff.  I've started getting into braid outs recently, but I can't do them everyday; they are too time consuming for my liking.  Protective styling and I just don't get along, but I love Marley twists!  I wish I could wear weaves and braids for long periods of time without getting irritated :(.

What is a haircare lesson that you've learned that you'd be willing to share with someone who wants to go natural?
> If you want to go natural-- DO IT!  What's stopping you?!?  You have to live for yourself; this is your life and the moment you stop thinking about everyone else, and their opinions, about YOUR HAIR, the closer you are to making that step and getting to know yourself.  If you're worried, it's natural (hehe, pun intended).  If you don't like it, there are other options, but you won't know until you try it.  Also, side note, it's great to admire other women's curls, but don't forget to LOVE and EMBRACE your own curls as well.

What are your hair goals?
> My hair goal is to have healthy hair.  My hair is not in its best state at this time because of all the times I would get bored and randomly dye my hair, which was like every month for a while last year.  I am patiently waiting for that to grow out while fighting all temptations to not cut it all off.  I am trying to grow my hair to APL (arm pit length) when it's curly.  OH-- I really need to figure out how to flat twist and cornrow my own hair!

How do you feel about your hair today? 
I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.  I love how versatile my hair can be.  Some days I even wish I still had a relaxer because I was used taking care of my hair like that; it became effortless.  I am still learning how to care for my natural hair.  On the days I feel like my hair looks absolutely crazy people compliment my hair, which helped me embrace the days when my hair is obnoxiously frizzy.  I've fallen in love with my naturally kinky, curly hair!

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Callie about her natural hair journey?  If so, comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment