Monday, February 3, 2014

Spotlight Monday: Melissa

Tell us about yourself.
Hello Naturals!  My name is Melissa; I dance, I love cats and I am a "Natural Hair" And "Black Self Love" enthusiast!  I am pursuing my Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling.  I have strong aspirations of not only being an advocate in the Mental Health Community, but also of bringing more Mental Health services, and awareness, to our disregarded communities of color in any way that I can.

How long have you been natural? What is your hair type?  Describe your curls!
> Well (brace yourself! Lol), I am one of those naturals who "went natural" more than once.  As a freshman in college, I made the decision to change a lot of my habits including relaxing my hair, especially because I didn't get them often.  My first relaxer was forced; I was only 8yo!  After attempting my 1st transition, a fresh relaxer and weave called my name.  After almost 9 months, I went back!  When I saw how TERRIBLE the perm was, and how weak and stupid I felt, I said "that's it for this!" and ever since the summer of 2009, I never got another relaxer. :)  My hair type is mixed, but overall I think I am a 4A & 4B with BEAUTIFUL tight coils and tight S shaped curls.


Did you transition or big chop?  Why did you take that route?
> I transitioned with multiple trims, braids, and weaves.  Then I cut my hair to my ears when I saw how unhealthy my hair was.  I decided to transition because I wanted to see the difference in my hair as it grew, and I was honestly too afraid to cut it all off.  Now I feel that because I went through a lot of phases and heat damage, and even though my curls are coming back to life and I'm way more comfortable, I definitely want to cut it again in the future.

 What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> Like many transitioning naturals, I thought I would have Tracy Ellis Ross hair or something (lol), but I didn't.  I didn't know what I was doing with my hair and I felt kind of lonely in my journey.  It took me years to stop using heat and to embrace my TRUE natural texture after giving up crazy chemicals like relaxers (No lye, No lie lol).  However, when I decided to be 100% true to my naturalness, I was very happy when I saw how curly my hair was, and I was ecstatic for my freedom! - I felt so strong because this was one thing about me that NOBODY or NO social norm could continue to control. 

What are some of your favorite products? (Top 3)
> I'm still in a trial and error phase because I feel like my hair is a complicated girl, but to name three products:
- Raw Shea butter (my whole body swears by it)
- Eco Styler Gel
- Cantu Shea Leave-in conditioner
I know it says to name three, but the Tresemme Naturals Conditioner is really good, too! LOL

What are your go-to hairstyles?
> As much as I love twist outs and Bantu knot outs, I have too many failed attempts with them.  So my go-to hairstyle would be my Beautiful, coily puff aka "Le Puff Zaddy".

How do you feel about your hair today?
> Today-- I love my hair!  Even though I am still not 100% confident with every hairstyle I do or try, I rock it with love and pride because I do love and value my return to natural.  I love to use water in my hair everyday now, and I will never turn back to relaxers, which just didn't work for me, or even heat.  I am fully in love with the versatility of my hair, and the hair textures of all people of color!  I feel like I can make a stance with my hair in so many ways and I love it.

Until next time,
Ashley, xo.

Do you have any questions for Melissa about her natural hair?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment