Tell us about yourself.
> My name is Milan; I am from the Bronx, and
New York City is my home. I am a Junior at Syracuse University and I am studying Communications and Rhetorical
Studies. I am also an active poet on Syracuse's Campus.
How long have you been natural? What is your hair type? Describe your curls!
> I have been natural for 2 years now; it will be 3 years next summer! For sometime, I didn’t know I was going natural (officially) until after a small chop of my hair. I completely decided to stop
getting perms. Within those two years, I didn’t fully embrace my natural hair. Instead, I would just flat iron it or get it blown out. When I began to my rock my natural hair, I discovered that I had multiple curl patterns. To my surprise, I am a
3c, 4a, and 4b, leaving me with three textures all around, providing me with different curls. Some of my curls are super defined at times, and some of my curls can be loose, but not so much. My hair is thick so the different textures compliment each other.
> I began to embrace my natural hair after 2 years when I had some kind of length. I didn’t big chop; I transitioned by letting my perm grow out through box braid installations. I took this route because when I used to get perms in high school, the chemicals were too strong for my hair so it started to break after a while. My mother would treat my hair like it was her prized possession because my hair was long and soft. I miss it sometimes, but going natural was a big step for me and I knew it was my time to treat my hair like my prized possession, and I definitely do.
What was it like when you experienced your natural hair for the first time?
> It was crazy; it was like those who knew I was natural for that time always wanted me to embrace it. When I finally wore my hair out in an actual style, it almost felt like “the wait” was over. However, I was very insecure about it because I didn’t know how I would actually look.
What are some of your favorite products? (Top 3)
> My favorite products are Cantu Coconut Oil leave-in conditioner, Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk, and Olive Oil. I haven’t become a product junkie yet, but I can feel it coming soon.
What are your go-to hairstyles?
> My go-to styles are definitely box braids (when it’s a colder-- you can never go wrong), and my 'fro! I do two strand twists and wash & gos with JUST conditioner and my curls come out defined!
How do you feel about your hair today?
> Honesty, I love my hair, and I never thought of turning back to the chemicals that once damaged my hair before. I felt like it was going to be harder to maintain my natural hair, and at the beginning, it was. I didn’t know what I was doing, and I didn’t have any sort of guidance. Now this blog happened and, I can connect with some women on here, whether its their hairstyles or different texture types. When I visit the blog, I see some similar products that I've used, and some that I can use in the future to produce some of the same results as these lovely women have. I feel like I am apart of this glorious resurgence of natural beauty and embracing it. It makes me feel like the movement is here to stay. This is only the beginning of my journey.
Until next time,
Ashley, xo.
Do you have any questions for Milan about her natural hair? Leave a comment below!

No comments:
Post a Comment